My partner for this project was the one and only, Jamie Yeung. Our role was to each get comfortable working together using the paired programming method, which both members of the team work together on one computer. One would be typing, both would discuss about what each line of the code does, both would be making commit updates to GitHub, and the role switches back and forth.
The most challenging part of this project was to find a functional application programming interface (API) to work with. The idea/ API was there, but it hindered our progress becaused of unreliable/ inconsistent data and/ or the API required an Open Authorization (OAuth) for authorization to the internet. With a one week deadline, we took a step back and split the research and testing of the data using Postman to cover more ground. This worked in our favour, and we were back on track towards the next stage.
During the development stage, we both wrote the code and took the time to explain and understand the code together. The same applied to the styling, responsiveness/ accessibility, and the overall aesthetics to the design. With time to spare, we finished the process by taking the time to go over code again to understand it further.
I was initially nervous at first because I never worked in paired programming before and I didn't know what to except. In the end, I am glad I got to experience this opportunity to collaborate with another person, because you can learn so much from each other and gain constructive feedback from their perspective. It was a bit stressful in the beginning, because of the difficulty in finding an API that is free and functional. But, in the end, we overcame the challenges, we pulled an interactive presentation to engage with the viewers, and it was well received by everyone.